Monday, March 29, 2010

UK Web & Mini Comix Thing 2010

 

I'm happy to report another enjoyable time was had by one and all at this year's Thing (well, i can only speak for myself and 2 cartoonist mates I went along with - there may have been crying, wailing and gnashing of teeth but I didn't see any of it.)

I arrived about 11.30 and proceeded to confuse myself and the extremely patient person taking the entrance money  - it involved a twenty pound note, a ten pound note and a lot of change. Apologies to the young lady - I only realised later that I must have sounded like a complete lunatic. "Right .... that's 6 quid? I'll give you 21quid.... you give my 15 back.. is that right?.." I'm suprised she let me in....

Moving swiftly on....


Meeting up with my fellow cartoonists Royston Robertson and Alex Hughes, we surveyed the hall, carefully avoiding eye contact with the eager exhibitors... we were going to engage when we were ready, thank you! A pincer movement was agreed upon, watches synchronised, and... we were off and browsing!

The hall was once again full with exhibitors - I think nearly every table was in use, with a decent crowd of visitors milling around, chatting, and even occasionally buying stuff. Speaking to a few exhibitors, they thought it was a bit quieter than last year - no doubt the weather and tube disruption had kept some away. (I left at about 1.30pm, so it may well have picked up by then) Nevertheless, those that made the journey were treated to a whole lot of comic and cartoon goodness.


Professional and amateur comic creators displayed their work side by side and it was a great chance to catch up with folks I'd talked to and bought from last year, and meet some new creators. Like any comics festival, the quality of work on display was varied - some stuff was not to my taste at all - but the beauty of the Thing is the next table was sure to have something I did appreciate. I had a set budget and planned to keep to it - but I could have easily left with a bagful of cracking comics and a severely lighter wallet! I was fortunate to swap some of my mini books (more details soon) with a few exhibitors, so that was another chance to add to the Thing Swag.


There were a few titles I planned to pick up, having read about them on various blogs or bought previous volumes at last year's thing - Sarah McIntyre's 'Dear Diary', (I was lucky - it quickly sold out!) Shug's 'Find Comet, Hit Comet, Watch Comet, Sleep', another volume of Joe Decie's 'What I drew' and the second 'Claude will fight you' from Gronk Comics.  I also picked up work by the following talented people -  Al Maceachern,  Michael Georgiou, Ellen Lindner, Sarah Burrini plus a smattering of shiny badges. Ooh .... shiny!

 
Here's my yearly Thing picture of Hugh 'Shug' Raine, affecting a forlon look for amusing comic effect ( and apeing the caricature I drew of him) Compare and contrast with last year's photo. Whatever happened to that cheery fellow?

So in summary (finally! Ed) it was another enjoyable year at the Thing. I met a lot of good people, bought a lot of good comics and really hope that Thing 2011 is on the cards. I am once again tempted to book a table next year, but then I did say that last year. Some Things never change...

5 comments:

Shug said...

Bah! I've become disillusioned!

Great as always to see you, Tim. My report will be up Tuesday night.

TimHarries said...

Aye, was good to meet up again.

I look forward to reading your take on the Thing.

Poobah said...

Shug's still selling the same books as last year!
Can't he get rid of them then?

TimHarries said...

Tsk! They're reprints of course. The first million sold out last year.

shug-comics said...

You tell 'im, Tim!