Monday, April 26, 2010

Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival 2010 Big Board

It's Monday already? Can't quite believe the Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival has been and gone. It was a blur of workshops, talks, exhibitions and cartooning activities in the Town Square. A unique feature of this festival are the Big Boards that cover the Square.


Cartoonists were given an 8x6 foot board to work on and the results were once again outstanding. There was such a variety of styles on display, and quality artwork for the public and fellow cartoonists to enjoy. A great chance to watch and learn too - I commented to some cartoonists how much I admired their board, and they told me they didn't really know what they were doing. Judging by the results, I don't believe them, frankly!

There were many, many great boards created, and I'll post more during the week, but some highlights were:

 Rupert Besley's take on the Hound of the Baskervilles

 Andy Davey's Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse

  Steve Bright's St George and unamused Dragon

Wilbur Dawbarn's chav infested castle

I'll post pics of the various steps of my finished board later, once you've forgotten how good all these boards were :)

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks for the nice comment, Tim, and I agree about the dragon - mind you, aren't you about to create one of your very own?

john said...

Great photos Tim..looks as if you all had a great time...I like your big board as well saw it on the forum. What happens to the boards after the week end?

TimHarries said...

Quite right Cathy! I'd forgotten about that ... better get working on it!

Yes John - another successful festival, and a lot of fun too!

I'm not entirely sure what happens to the boards. They were displayed on the Sunday and then taken down and put into storage.
After last year's fetstival there was mention of the possibility of making them availbale to display at school fetes etc, but I don't know if that happened.

I assume they eventually get painted over to re-use for the following year. The festival organiser in charge of the boards told me it took about 3 coats before my cartoon from last year stopped showing through!

I was a bit lighter with the paint this year :)

Cathy said...

Apparently I got your board from last year - at least Bill reckoned I had. There was a bit with what looked like chicken footprints scraped into the paint ...

wilburonline said...

this year i understand the boards will be coming out for another airing at the wakeman school at the end of june, where they will be exhibited alongside the work produced by the schoolkids and o.a.p.s attending my workshops.

great post by the way, and ta for the mention.

Chichi Parish said...

Great post, Tim.