Thursday, June 17, 2010

Banksy the Cartoonist



Here's a video of a room at Ye Old Carlton Arms Hotel in New York. The hotel's 54 rooms are all painted or decorated by artists from around the world. The room in the video is by UK Graffiti Artist Banksy.

 Pic of Stairwell at the Carlton Arms. Artwork by Banksy. Photo by Darek Solarski.

I've always thought of Banksy as a bit of a cartoonist (in fact it's sometimes used by his critics in a derogatory manner to describe him) and the clip above is a good example of what I would describe as cartoon illustration. I believe he painted it around 2000, and his style has obviously gone through a lot of changes, but to me he seems to still dabble in cartooning. Here's a sketch of his from about 2 years ago, which I don't think would look out of place in the pages of The New Yorker or Private Eye.

and here's some examples of basically gag cartoons brought to life on the streets (of London and Timbuktu!)
Banksy's sketchbook is awash with cartoons and doodles...
 

And he's not above putting his spin on other people's cartoon creations too...
Apologies to the Rev. W Awdry.
 Even bigger apologies to Raymond Briggs!

So, Banksy.. time to 'fess up. You're a cartoonist. And I mean that in a good way!

2 comments:

Royston Robertson said...

Nice post, Tim. There's a few there I've not seen before.

TimHarries said...

Cheers Royston.
Yes, there's lots of pics out there. Just when I think I've seen most of his work, another load get unearthed!