It's be a while since I updated my progress on the Superdragons project. Pleased to say the artwork is all done and I'm currently varnishing it.
Here's a few pics of 'Scrum the SuperDragon' taking shape...
This was taken when the dragon was still in the 'Dragons Den' - a workspace in the centre of Newport where the public could come and watch us working. I'd put the base colour on and was pencilling in the shapes of the rugby players.
About two weeks in I decided to bring the dragon home to cut down on the time spent travelling in to the Den. Here he is set up in the front room, much to my wife's absolute delight...
Over the next fortnight I worked on positioning the players and colouring them up ready for adding the black outlines. I put down a coat of white and then put the colours on top of that (usually several coats!)
Here's a section of the dragon almost complete.
And here's a Dr Who themed cameo...
(Pic by Ger Whyman)
After the bulk of the artwork was done, I took it back to the den for final touchups and to get it approved before varnishing. Here I am, drawing the last of the black outlines. Yes, I'm reaching the 'completely cheesed off with this' stage by now. Plus the permanent marker fumes are making me feel slightly woozy. It's a hard habit to break - I'm now on 3 'Sharpies' a day.
Here's the finished dragon. I'll post more pics when it's been varnished.
It's been a much longer project than I imagined! Looking forward to seeing it all finished and out on the Newport streets, where I suspect it will last 0.2 minutes. Ah, but what a glorious 0.2 minutes it will be!